Friday, December 2, 2011

{best dressed: maid & kid edition}

Please forgive me if this post feels a little rushed (I only gave myself an hour off from one-step-away-from-death studying).

I already mentioned our feelings toward monetary help for our wedding, but our feelings toward financial obligation run even deeper. We don't want to make our friends and family feel like they need to spend a lot of money to come party with us. Why do I bring this up? Well... it directly has to do with my 'maids and the duds they'll be rocking.

As much as my little heart would love to dress my girls up in dresses courtesy of the '80's, it won't be happening.


Instead, I just plan to ask for some simple guidelines and let my girls choose whatever dress they love and can afford. Find a dress at OldNavy on clearance? Heck yeah. Shop around at the Goodwill and find one for $12? Dannnggg right. Use it as an excuse to buy the designer dress you've been drooling over? You go, girl. 
The guidelines I'm thinking about will probably be simple: green and knee-length. I might even think more about types of fabric but I'm not sure right now. When I send out my "Will-you-be-my-bridesmaid" letters, I'll probably include a big fat sample of different green colors and a few pictures to put shopping anxiety at ease.

Here is a great example of what I'm thinking:



What will save this look from looking like random people standing together? Accessories, of course. I'd love for the girls to rock similar bouquets and accessories but no demands. Hair? however you like it. Makeup? Whatever makes you happy. 

One thing that our wedding will not be lacking is kids. Between both of our families, we will have a mixture of 14 nieces/nephews/young cousins, adopted and biological, by the time of our wedding. In a situation like this... how do you pick your flower girl and ring bearer? Simple: you don't. Instead, we're going to offer it to all of them. Why not make them all feel special and loved? 

Once I saw this picture, I knew exactly how I'd love to dress my mass'o'flowergirls


It still makes me smile. And want pinch that little girl's cheeks and give her anything her little heart desires. (Imagine a mass of little ones in white tops + matching tutus. Make sure you have a good grab on your wallet and your hearts, ladies and gentlemen. These little girls will take cuteness to a dangerous level.) I found a great tutorial online for making tutus and once I figure out exactly how many little girls will be dancing along the aisle, I can see how it fits into the budget. 

There are few girls who are older and may not be into the tutu idea. Perfectly a-okay. Then we'll just have them follow the bridesmaid guidelines and I'll make sure to find a grown-up job for them.

I can't forget my little dudes.


It may be a little ambitious but I'd love to make/find suspenders for my little dudes. Complete the outfit with maybe khaki pants & a simple white top. While the hat makes me giggle so much, probably won't be able to add that part in.

Oh, and the boys might get pirate swords to play with down the aisle. Whoooo knows. 

Tata - time to put my nose back into a book or two!

2 comments:

  1. I love all the ideas! Sounds like the wedding is going to be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Monica.
    We have lots of time to plan and create so who knows, by the time it occurs it may be an entirely different wedding all together. Ha. Right now we are remarkably excited, though.

    ReplyDelete